Wednesday, October 22, 2008

TIES and Garageband

I finally took some time and sat down today with the current version of GarageBand.  I got to do this at the TIES training center. 
I have used GarageBand in the past, but mostly for journalistic kinds of recordings of live concerts.
Now I am looking for ideas on how to use it with students and it seems like it will be a good fit.
I met a young lady today who works at an after school drop in program.  She said that her kids there couldn't stay away from Garageband.  Knowing how kids can be after school, I know it will be good during school.
I think the first thing I want to do is fire-up the Wiimote and do a little show and tell with the Magic Garageband.  You can audition instruments and try different combinations right away.  That can be a great orchestration conversation starter.
It was good to have some time to look at this software.  I got the time by using putting in for a class at our school's training provider, TIES.  If you are in the Minnesota area, there is a chance that there is a class offering at TIES you may be interested in. They also do a big conference in December that is worth a look as well.
I know a "sit and git" session may not be the best way to learn technology.  But how else are you going to get started?  At TIES, you do get to try the ideas on a computer as you learn the software. You also come away with at least the basic idea and some resources to go further.  Throw in some nice company with some fellow teachers and you are bound to find a good idea or two.

No comments: