Wednesday, February 27, 2013

You Probably Know What I Mean

NWEA
OLPA
NWEA(AGAIN)
OLPA (AGAIN)
MCA (Reading)
MCA (Math)
MCA (Science)
NWEA(Yet AGAIN)

Throw in on some years:
BST
ACT

If you understand all these initials, you probably know what I mean when I say, "Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet?...."

I would say that we are getting a little obsessive-compulsive about testing, but not even the obsessive-compulsive are this obsessive.

I bet we give up 3 weeks of time a year to figure out what the school staff already knows.  I would rather the staff used that time to keep pushing ahead in their curricular areas instead of doing test prep and testing.

Another scary part of this is there are people at the state level that write and track this stuff.  Couldn't we just use someone else's tools?

Testing is not really teaching.  It may be what you remember about school, but it is not supposed to be the point of school.

Let's get some of this off our kids' and teachers' collective backs.

No comments: