Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Paul McCartney, iOS, iPad, iPod, Google, Blogger, Analytics, SmartMusic (just running up the score!)

I track what is going on in my web traffic.

No.  I don't back track to get your IP address or anything like that.  That would be creepy and I wouldn't know what to do with it.  But I do like to know where (literally) people are coming from.  It's an odd kind of fun.

This blog is one of my hobbies and I like to see the traffic go up.  I also like to guess what people may be looking for when the do a search for something to read.  Blogger makes this easy with their stats tools.  Google's Analytics have more detail.

I think my readers are interested in all the things mentioned in that title.  Every time I mention one of those, there is a spike in traffic.  Today, I am mentioning them all at once just to see what happens.  Hopefully, the web doesn't implode.

Paul McCartney helped with his Grammy appearance.  There is always something coming soon from Apple, so I should get some hits from there.  So thanks to the big names, this may be a record breaker for me.  I'll let you know.

If you are a teacher of writing, here is a case for knowing your audience.  What does your audience want to read?  What does it want to know?  If you depend on an audience for a living, (and I don't) what do you say?

Track you traffic and poke around in the analytics, you may learn something about your topics.

3 comments:

Beth said...

I'm an avid follower of your posts regarding SmartMusic. Keep up the great blog.

Unknown said...

Thanks!
I will keep it up, especially the SmartMusic tips and ideas.

Unknown said...

I said I would keep you posted. Traffic was double yesterday. I am not sure what to think about that...