Here's how it works:
- You buy a big USB hard drive.
- You plug it into your Mac.
- Your Mac asks if you want to use it for Time Machine.
- You say "Yes" and begin ignoring the Time Machine.
- Then you live happily ever after.
Actually had a chance to try it out on something major yesterday after the Lion Server session. They wanted us to uninstall sever after class. Not a problem for me. I just restarted from my trusty Snow Leopard disc and went to my Time Machine. Reverted to the last time I used my computer without Lion and less than 42 minutes later I was back to where I started from.
Pretty slick and pretty easy. Makes you think that everyone should have this going.
The hardest part was buying the USB disc.