Tuesday, February 22, 2011

I work with some neat people.

It is professional development day and I can't help but notice that I work with some neat people.

I think they are beginning to get impatient with everything.

One of these amazing people wants to use technology in her practice.  WANTS the training.  I do believe that she will put the training to good use.  We are in the right place at the right time.  Then we get drive-by training.

Experts come by and talk really fast for an hour.  Do this, do that and it should do this.  This recipe should work, if it doesn't here is our web site.  I know it was fast because the topic was broad.  I also know that people sitting on either side of me were at least two directions behind.  Frequently.

It would be nice to take some time and thoughtfully walk through the process, compare and contrast with things she already knows.  A little history, a little background, a little of this does this and that does that, try it yourself.  Get some ideas put together on what you might use it for...

It would be REALLY nice to follow-up.  How did this work for you when you got back to your desk?  Did you get your project done?

I don't think this is going to happen when you bring in the outside experts for an hour of rapid fire.

Shouldn't the training be ongoing and continuous?  I think we need a tech integrationist.  What does training look like at your school?

No comments: